Friday, August 4, 2006

Skinny bitch


I finished SKINNY BITCH by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin (Running Press, c2005, ISBN 0-7624-2493-1) this afternoon after reading the whole thing in small bites over the course of a month.

Honestly, it was not what I expected.

I thought I was getting a book with humorous diet tips. This book included chapters about slaughterhouses, the government's lies that are effecting your weight, and A LOT of vegan lifestyle information, which I am not and never aspire to be, no matter how much weight I'd like to lose. I like cheese too much. (I know, I know...it's all about the casein.)

However, just because it wasn't what I was looking for in a book, I did finish it and years ago I made it a point to bring something away from every book I read. With this book, I copied down some of the recommended reading suggestions from the end of the book. In addition, my favorite chapter was "Don't be a pussy" where the girls talk about vice items which I struggle with regularly and sometimes succumb to and sometimes not.


Their advice with these diet smashers was this:
         If you decide to partake in a vice item [after thirty days], it cannot be out of weakness or for lack of preparation. You should never be somewhere and just say, "Fuck it." It should be a calculated, scheduled, premeditated choice. The portion should be decided on beforehand, should be smaller that you would normally have had, and served on a plate.


That's pretty sound advice and one that I will take on my future journey with weight loss. (Down 48 pounds since February 2006.)

I probably could have appreciated this book more if it had been written by someone other than a model agent and former model. For example, maybe by someone who was ever larger than a size 14. But then, that's just me. Form your own opinions.


This book will not sit well with my readers who do not appreciate cuss words in their readings.


The first line of the book:

Okay.


No really, that is the first sentence...

Have a good weekend and happy reading!

No comments: