Saturday, August 15, 2009

July #11 - A BAD DAY FOR SORRY


Title: A bad day for sorry

Author: Sophie Littlefield

Publisher: Minotaur Books

Copyright: 2009

ISBN: 978-0-312-55920-5

Series or stand-alone: #1

Setting: Prosper, MO

1st Sentence:

Prologue
Whuppin' ass wasn't so hard, Stella Hardesty thought as she took aim with the little Raven .25 she took off a cheating son-of-a-bitch in Kansas City last month.
What was hard was making sure it stayed whupped.
Especially on a day when it hit a hundred degrees before noon. And you were having hot flashes. And today's quote on your Calendar for Women who Do Too Much read Find serenity in unexpected places.
"Fuck serenity," Stella said. And she shot the trailer.


Comments:

I had to write the author and ask for permission to post the entire prologue because that was really what made me fall in love with Stella Hardesty; that was all I had to read to know I would continue on with this book and then this series. Stella rocks. She helps abusive men see the error of their ways, by whatever means necessary. Stella is definitely NOT your typical character, both in her 50s and menopause (a deadly combo), but I think that is what endeared her to me so much. Well, that and her side profession. Gee, I wish I could have her job.

4 comments:

Sophie Littlefield said...

Thank you so much for the kind words, Shannon! You made my day :)

Shannon said...

Sophie,
You're more than welcome! Thanks for writing such a fun character. I look forward to #2.

Holly said...

This is totally going on my TBR list. I adore that opening. It makes me think of a song by Miranda Lambert, "Gunpowder and Lead"

Shannon said...

Think Miranda Lambert going through menopause. Stella is a great character possessing some qualities and skills I wish I could put to use at times!