Saturday, August 27, 2005

Not all sentences are great sentences

I am not one to bash authors or criticize work. It's not in my nature. I figure when I become a published author and my work is out there for others to criticize, then I can do it. But until then, I might say, "It didn't work for me," or "The first sentence didn't grab me."

Here is a first sentence that didn't grab me. It is from Alex Kava's ONE FALSE MOVE:

Max Kramer wore his lucky red tie with his blue power suit.

Now, just because that first sentence does nothing for me, it does not mean I won't read the book, because I enjoy Alex Kava's books immensely and recommend them to my patrons often.

I like first sentences. Some people might like bad first sentences. If you do, check out the Bulwer-Lytton website.

You won't regret it.

It is the shrine to bad first sentences.

No comments: