Sunday, September 4, 2005

All in the family

In MY SISTER'S KEEPER by Jodi Picoult, starts out with a poem and then the prologue which is a quote. The first sentence after all of this, is:


In my first memory, I am three years old and I am trying to kill my sister.


I have always been a big fan of Jodi Picoult's. I started reading her when PLAIN TRUTH came out, read the next several books she wrote and then went back and read her older stuff.

I like that she takes a simple "what-if" concept and turns it into a compelling read.

I am not alone in this way of thinking.


As an aside, I have been deeply saddened by what is happening in the Southern states and like many have been watching the tragedy unfold daily, always trying to figure out what I can do to help. If you'd like to donate to the Salvation Army to aid in the relief for the people affected by Hurricane Katrina, click here or to donate to the American Red Cross, click here.

Be careful of scams.

Donate a little or a lot. You can make a difference.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you think of the ending of that book?

Shannon said...

Without giving anything away, it totally took me by surprise. Didn't see it coming to save my life and then I had to go back and read the very first part of the book and compare fonts.

It moved to the top of my favorite books read this year.

Anonymous said...

Really? One of your favorites? I didn't see it coming either, but I felt so cheated at the end. I wanted to hurl the book across the room.

Ah, reading makes the world go round... love your blog and looking forward to seeing more great (and not-so-great) first lines.