Thursday, September 8, 2005

A Reference Question Answered

Very few people make comments to my blog. But one day when I wrote about Panera's Portobello and Roasted Garlic Bisque, I received two comments. Below is one of them:


Dupota said...
My Grandmother made the best mushroom soup. It was made, usually, with wild mushrooms (pipanki). Very basic, but it warmed the cockles of your heart! Although these mushrooms were picked here in the good ol' USA, no one has been able to tell me their "real" name.


Well...the librarian in me couldn't let that last bit rest. So, Dupota, if you are listening, I contacted David W. Fischer, co-author of "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" and "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America" and here is what he had to say:


"Popinki" (various English spellings) is any of several species of Armillaria, e.g. Armillaria mellea, aka the Honey Mushroom.


I did a GOOGLE search on honey mushrooms and recipes and came up with a whole bunch of hits, so happy eating!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yep, good shrooms, been eating them for years in Pennsylvania