Friday, June 24, 2005

Hot and Sweaty


This morning I woke up in a mood. It was hot, I was sweaty and then I realized I had nothing really that I could complain about. I had waited since November of last year for this kind of weather to get here. I guess I'd hoped it would ease in gradually but we got hit hard and quick with the heat.


Thus, I went in search of a great, first sentence: One that matched my mood and my surroundings. It didn't take long.


From GONE SOUTH by Robert R. McCammon:


It was hell's season, and the air smelled of burning children.


I also like:


At 6:30 A.M., when Washington, D.C., was waking to another sweltering summer day, a Ledbetter Oil Company tank truck rolled of a ramp of the capital beltway, spilling five hundred gallons of highly flammable black gunk across four lanes of traffic.


That comes from THE ROCKY ROAD TO ROMANCE by Janet Evanovich.


But my favorite first sentences are from her books ONE FOR THE MONEY and HARD EIGHT. The first sentence from ONE FOR THE MONEY is printed below.


There are some men who enter a woman's life and screw it up forever.


The first sentence from HARD EIGHT I can't print here because this is a public library project.

Look it up! Or email me, tell me what you think of my blog and I'll tell you what it is.


Stay cool! Happy reading!

No comments: