Thursday, June 16, 2005

A Superior Mystery

I belong to several list-servs that pertain to books and get many ideas, book lists and read-alikes from them as well as meeting, reading about and discussing topics with authors that are new to me.

One of the powers that this blog gives me is introducing my readers to authors that they might not know.


The following sentence is from the book A SUPERIOR MYSTERY by Carl Brookins, a new-to-me author within the past year. He graciously donated this book to our library when I wrote a post to the Dorothy-L list-serv explaining the money situation that we don't have in our library. And in case I never said "thank you" Carl, thank you.


Sparks flew into the dark sky from the fat black stack and died in the night, as an unseen hand shoveled more coal into the firebox.


I liked this sentence because of the "fat black stack"; it was music to my ears. I haven't read this book but it's on my Mount TBR (to be read) along with three or four hundred others.

Yeesh! So many books, so little time!

Currently reading VELOCITY by Dean Koontz and loving it!

Happy reading! ~ Shannon

1 comment:

carl brookins said...

My oldest daughter's first name is Shannon.
She's read "A Superior Mystery."