Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Rookie Club


The ROOKIE CLUB (New American Library, c2006, ISBN 978-0-7394-6829-6) is the newest book by Danielle Girard.


It starts out:


Emily Osbourne stepped out of the darkened sex crimes department and closed the door behind her.

Set in San Francisco, the Rookie Club is a group founded 15 years prior by a group of rookie women police officers struggling to gain the respect of their male counterparts on the department. The main character, Jamie Vail, was one of those founding members. Now, female officers are being brutally attacked and raped and Jamie, who is an inspector for the Sex Crimes division, is working the cases.

The book was a quick read for me and the only thing that I didn't like was the mounting number of characters in the book. They just continued to be introduced and by the time I was to page 250, I was having to go back to refresh my mind on who was who. There were also several "main" characters because there were several different storylines to keep track of. This little picadillo of mine, however, will not keep me from reading Girard's future books.

I recommend her to people looking for read-alikes for Mary Higgins Clark but I do not recommend this book to readers who shy from books containing graphic acts of violence against women.

No comments: