Thursday, January 4, 2007

Happy New Year as an Ill Wind blows


Well, I realize that I'm a few days late but is it ever really late when wishing someone good tidings for the next 361 days of their life? My new year has started out wonderfully, I've stuck so far to a couple of my new year's resolutions, and I'm looking forward to a new year of good reads and great first sentences.



My first book of the year was ILL WIND by Rachel Caine (ROC, c2003, ISBN 0-451-45952-0) and is it a doozy.

I'm not much of a fantasy reader so I wasn't sure how I'd like this but I was looking for something a little different to get the year started with. One of my resolutions is to read a wider variety of genres this year, so I didn't want to start it off with something in my comfort zone.



It begins:

By granting you the possession of one of the Association Djinn, the Wardens Association has recognized that you are among the finest in your area of specialty, whether you control Weather, Fire or Earth.


In this book, the first in a series, Joanne Baldwin is a Weather Warden, having the ability to control all things weather. When she is responsible for the death of another warden, she goes on the run to find Lewis, a more powerful warden, to help her.

This book is a cross-country romp taking the reader here and here and here, here and here, with Joanne at the wheel of her Mustang, a hottie Djinn named David and weather galore.



I'll be on the scout for the next books in this fun series and her vampire series looks pretty rockin' as well.

No comments: