Thursday, January 4, 2007

Sharp Objects


SHARP OBJECTS by Gillian Flynn (Shaye Areheart Books, c2006, ISBN 978-0-307-34154-9) is a fabulous debut book and one of my favorites, if not my favorite, this year.

The writing is lyrical. The setting is a character. Wind Gap, MO (not a real town) is such a part of who makes Camille Preaker what she is, and the feelings that she has just being there, makes it a very real place.

In this story, Camille Preaker is sent home to Wind Gap to write up news articles for the newspaper (Chicago Daily Post) she works at. A young girl is murdered, her teeth removed, and then another murder occurs and this small town has a serial killer on its hands.

While in Wind Gap, Camille must face some tough demons from her own lifetime and not fall prey to something which could be much, much worse than the killings happening in present time.

First sentence:
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.


I gave this book 5 stars of 5 stars in my own personal reading rating system. The only other book to receive the same score was MARLEY & ME.

Out of 74 books read this year, these two scored the highest with me.

Read this one.

No comments: