Friday, February 23, 2007

Blown Away


On my return flight from Las Vegas, I started reading BLOWN AWAY by Shane Gericke (Pinnacle Books, c2006, ISBN 0-7860-1813-5) and was just that...blown away!

This has been my favorite book so far this year and I couldn't wait to finish it so I could blog about it!

It starts:
"911, where is your emergency?" Bertha Pruitt repeated.


Set in Naperville, Illinois, Emily Thompson works for the police department and attracts the attention of a crafty serial killer, one who loves to play cat and mouse. The clock is ticking in this taut and suspenseful, although sometimes graphic (but I'm okay with that) debut and her partners Marty Benedetti, Hercules Branch, Chief Kendall Cross, Annie Bates and she must race it to catch the bad guy before it strikes on the eight.

I really liked Emily and rooted for her throughout the book but more importantly I loved the premise of the story and got sucked right in to the whole plot. I thought the characters were developed just enough to understand and like or dislike them yet underdeveloped enough to want more which I'll be seeing in Gericke's upcoming book, CUT TO THE BONE, which is already on my to-be-read list.

Run, don't walk -- to get your hands on this book, curl up or kick back and let the games begin!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

I have both this and Speak No Evil in my TBR piles. The premise of Blown Away really had me, so I might just have to move it up closer to the top.

I only read one of Allison Brennan's previous trilogies books, but really enjoyed her writing. I will have to get through the other ones. My problem is so many books come in from the library that I can't get to the ones I have.

Great reviews! Keep them up!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for this wonderful review, Shannon. I appreciate it no end, and think you'll be equally--perhaps even more--intrigued with CUT. Be well.

Warmest regards,
Shane Gericke
www.shanegericke.com