Thursday, November 8, 2007

HeartSick


Wow! I've been fortunate to read several good books in a row which, during the late autumn months, is important because I tend to get really moody with the approach of winter and I need something to distract me from the impending doom that winter brings.
My next book was HEARTSICK by Chelsea Cain (St. Martin's Minotaur, c2007, ISBN 978-0-312-36846-3) and yowza, is it a doozy.
Set in Portland, Oregon, Archie Sheridan, a retired detective, has been called back in to work on a new serial killer case. Archie's claim to fame was tracking and capturing the infamous Gretchen Lowell aka the Beauty Killer but not before being caught by her and tortured for 10 agonizing days. Now, with Gretchen safely in prison, Archie is trying to capture yet another disturbing serial killer and brings in Susan Ward, a newspaper reporter, to follow him and do a series on him and his work although he has an alterior agenda for doing so.
Reviewers are likening Gretchen Lowell to a female Hannibal Lector although I preferred this book over Harris' SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.

The book starts out:
Archie doesn't know for sure that it's her until that moment.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Oh! I loved this one, too! I gave it a 5/5. Her website was very interesting as well.

Shannon said...

I agree.

I particularly enjoy when authors do video clips of their books which Chelsea Cain has on her website. It makes a book that much more compelling (if they're done right...)