Thursday, November 8, 2007

Southern Roots


I have a confession. I am a Food Network addict. I watch these cooking shows and food travel shows and food information shows like a closet anorexic but anyone who knows me knows that that ain't happenin'! I love me some food!
My stepson asked me one day the pick 3 question. Which 3 food network stars would I pick? To hang with, it would definitely be Rachael Ray. For that one time dinner party it would be Emeril Lagasse and for my live in cook it would be none other than Paula Deen.
So I was thrilled that Paula wrote a memoir. I mean, if she's gonna cook for me daily I need to know a little bit about her, right?
In IT AIN'T ALL ABOUT THE COOKIN' by Paula Deen (Simon & Schuster, c2007, ISBN 0-7432-9285-5).

The first sentence is:
I never call myself a chef.


In this book, Paula shares some of her deepest secrets, the disaster of her early adulthood, the recovery she made and the empire she built. Her story was at times heartwrenching and at times heartwarming. My favorite part about the book is it is written just like she talks. If you picture the words in your head as you're reading, you can hear her infectious southern twang loud and proud! And sprinkled throughout the chapters are some good lookin' recipes, y'all!

I may have been born on the West Coast and raised in the Midwest but I'm pretty sure I'm a southern girl (minus the grits!) at heart.

1 comment:

Lesa said...

I'm totally with you, Shannon, about Paula Deen, and about southern cooking, INCLUDING minus the grits. My husband and I have a great story about grits. Someday, I might pass it on.