Thursday, March 29, 2007

Immortal


A couple of days ago I finished IMMORTAL IN DEATH (Berkley, c1996, ISBN 0-425-15378-9) by J.D. Robb.

This book is the third in a series of it looks like 28 or 29 books thus far, and boy, do I have a lot of reading to do because I have a copy of every book in the series up to about number 25. I don't have the latest one published in February of 2007 and 28 and 29 are still to come in November of this year, according to her website.

The book starts out:
Getting married was murder.


The book is set in the near future of 2058 in New York, NY. Leiutenant Eve Dallas works for the New York PD and is in the process of planning her wedding to Roarke when she has to arrest her best friend, Mavis Freestone, for the murder of a top fashion model.

Crap rolls downhill and it looks like Eve will never get married because the deaths just keep piling up and Eve works overtime to solve each and every one.
We are also introduced in this book to Officer Delia Peabody (apparently we meet her in GLORY IN DEATH -- but I don't remember her), a cop that Eve takes under her wing. I don't know if Peabody is in future books (I do know now because of that darn Wickipedia but I'm not telling so as not to ruin it for somebody else), but I hope so because I liked the way her and Eve worked together.

These books rarely make me go, "WOW! That was a great book!" However, I enjoy the series and the characters are comfortable. I like the way they interact with one another, I like the inner strength that Eve possesses and my dad is always harping that I don't read enough science fiction and although these are labeled as romantic suspense, and J.D. Robb is a pseudonym for this author, these are probably as close to science fiction as I am going to read AND enjoy, if you don't count all of the vampire books I love.

See you next time...

No comments: