Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Shattered Mirror


SHATTERED MIRROR by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (Dell Laurel Leaf, c2001, ISBN 0-440-22940-5) is a young adult book by a very talented author and the thing that amazed me about this was learning that Amelia published her first book at the age of 13, and this book was published when she was either 16 or 17-years-old. It doesn't hurt that the book is about vampires, which I love to read about, but the age thing just blows my mind! I've read books within the teen fiction genre by adults twice and three times her age that couldn't stand up to this; maybe the age makes the difference. I will definitely be looking up more; her books are AR books in our area and I think they will definitely appeal to many of my tween readers at the library.

The first sentence:
Sarah Vida shivered.


The story begins with Sarah Vida, a witch and vampire hunter, who moves to a new school in Acton, Massachusetts and befriends two vampire classmates. Continuing her friendship goes against all of the laws of her family and all of the beliefs she had been raised to hold, however there is something about both Nissa and Christopher Ravena that she finds very appealing until she learns that their brother, Christopher's twin, is Nikolas, one of the most hunted vampires in history.

No comments: