Thursday, January 26, 2006

One Classic Wrinkle


I recently finished A WRINKLE IN TIME by Madeleine L'Engle (Dell, c1962, 0-440-49805-8). Not for the first time, but the first time in a very long time.


The book, a Newbery Medal winner in 1963, combines both fantasy and science fiction, two genres that as an adult I run from. Yet it still holds the magical appeal and wonder that it did when I read it as a child.


Meg Murry, a young, shy and very aware of her differences kind of girl is transported on an adventure through time and space with her younger brother Charles Wallace and a boy from school, Calvin O'Keefe to rescue her father who is being held captive on the planet of Camozotz by IT. Along the way she makes many self discoveries and finds the strength within to be a hero.


The first sentence is a doozy too:

It was a dark and stormy night.


A recent discussion on a list-serv I belong to revolved around first sentences and this first sentence of course, reminded me of the Bulwer-Lytton contest.


Does anyone know of any other books that start with "It was a dark and stormy night?" that they'd be willing to share with me?

1 comment:

JoanneMarie Faust said...

You mean other than Snoopy's book? I think every book should begin either with, "Once upon a time," or "It was a dark and stormy night." Can you just imagine it? Okay. Maybe not.