Tuesday, July 12, 2011

September 2010 #1 - THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

Title: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Author: Stieg Larsson

Publisher: Vintage Books

Copyright: 2008

ISBN: 978-0-307-45454-6

Type of book: Scandinavian mystery

Setting: Hedestad, Sweden

1st Sentence:
Prologue
A Friday in November it happened every year, was almost a ritual.


Comments: #1 in a trilogy by Swedish author, now deceased. It made a huge splash on the charts, although I'm really not sure why, IMO. Blomkvist is hired by Henrick Vanger to find his niece Harriet who went missing forty years prior with the help of Lisbeth Salander, a tattooed hacker.
I thought it was quite graphic in parts, and much too wordy. My assistant loved the entire series and tore through them, I was more 'eh.' Different strokes and all that.

Why I chose this book: Because even two years after it was published, it was getting HUGE reviews and I felt like I should read it so that I could honestly talk about it with my patrons.

Why I read it to the end: I did end up liking Lisbeth, but not enough to continue reading the series. I do, however, want to see the movies.

To whom would I recommend this: People delving into the Scandinavian books who may not have read them.

My rating: 3.5/5

No comments: