Saturday, September 1, 2012

February 2011 #1 - LEFT NEGLECTED


Title: LEFT NEGLECTED

Author: Lisa Genova

Publisher: Gallery Books

Copyright: 2011

ISBN: 978-1-4391-6463-1

Audience: Adult

Setting: Welmont, MA

1st Sentence:
Prologue
I think some small part of me knew I was living an unsustainable life.

Why I chose this book: I wanted to read Genova's first book, STILL ALICE, but couldn't bring myself to because of the Alzheimer's disease angle, and living with my granmother's disease made reading about it just too raw. I thought I'd give this book a shot first.

Why I read it to the end: Sarah is a very busy woman - and one day, while commuting to work she is in a car accident, sustaining a head injury that causes a condition called left neglect. This condition does not allow the brain to register that which is on the left. This topic was new to me as far as medical fiction goes and I was totally enthralled by it. The book travels through Sarah's rehab, her reconnect with family and her shift in priorities. I thought the book was similar to Jodi Picoult in writing style and would recommend it to my patrons who enjoy Picoult's work.
This was one of my favorite books of 2011.

My rating: 5/5

No comments: