Saturday, September 1, 2012

January #3 - THE JOY LUCK CLUB


Title: THE JOY LUCK CLUB

Author: Amy Tan

Publisher: Ivy Books

Copyright: 1989

ISBN: 0-8041-0630-4

Audience: Adult

Setting: Present: San Francisco, CA - Past: China

1st Sentence:
The old woman remembered a swan she had bought many years ago in Shanghai for a foolish sum.

Why I chose this book: This was the second book chosen for our library's newly formed book discussion group.

Why I read it to the end: It took me four days to get to page 22. I almost gave up on it and had decided I would tell the group that it just wasn't my cuppa. I'm glad I barreled on with it though, because by the time I got to the end, I found that I truly enjoyed the stories of the four women, their mother's and their past. I have to admit that I rented the movie though, and watched it when I was struggling, and when I saw what it was about, it made the reading easier. I can't say that I will read more of Amy Tan, but I am glad that I read this book. Although I hear THE KITCHEN GOD'S WIFE is magnificent.

My rating: 3.75/5

No comments: